Torre Madariaga´s main purpose is to promote, generate and manage knowledge - scientific and technical - for political decision making and public awareness of the value of biodiversity in Euskadi. The center, located in the Torre Madariaga, Busturia (Bizkaia) is a reference center for the dissemination and awarness of the biodiversity of the Basque Country. The work revolves around a twofold purpose: to show the variety, functions and the richness of our environmental heritage and at the same time, encourage the spread of knowledge and appreciation of biodiversity in the Basque Autonomous Community. www.torremadariaga.org
Roman Site Forua
The site was occupied between the first and fifth centuries A.D, and to date up to nine different Roman structures have been discovered that denote different phases within the Roman period.
The Castro Arrola
The fort of Arrola, a fortified settlement from the Iron Age, is located at the confluence of the towns of Arratzu, Mendata and Nabarniz.
Enchanted forest of Oma
The Living Forest- created in 1984 in the vicinity of Oma, in the municipality of Kortezubi- is the result of a passion for the landscape of Agustín Ibarrola
an artist born in Bilbao in 1930, and also by the search for a synthesis between culture, art and nature.
Location: Best access to the top of the forest is from Kortezubi. Entry through thelower valley is quite a difficult climb...
Remarks: Recommended mountain or sports shoes.
Santimamiñe and Basondo
Located next to the Santimamiñe Cavez and the Enchanted Forest of Oma, Basondo is a wildlife refuge centre (Wild boar, deer, otters, bobcats, raptors and migratory birds, ...) and also other endangered species (European bosn, Iberian wolf, European Lynx,...) and other representative wildlife of the area.
Hours: 11:00 to dusk
Open: Weekends and holidays throughout the year.
Every day at Easter (the 15 days of school holidays) and the summer period from July 1st to September 30th.
Closed: December 25th and January 1st.
The cave painting is currently closed to the public. Groups limited to 15 people.
Phone: 94625 2975
Open: Monday to Friday
Closed: December 25th and January 1st
San Miguel de Ereñozahar
This chapel was the parish church from the tenth century until 1660, the year in which they built the current church. Inside to the right is a large old
stone sarcophagus. According to chronicles of Alfonso XI an old fort stood here where the local people who opposed the king´s entry to the territory, took refuge in 1334. Access to the shrineis by taking a right hand path to the Ereño stone. You have to leave the car at 100m. and climb up a steep path to the hermitage.
Quarry of Ereño
Among the municipalities Gauteguiz-Arteaga Ereño are located a number of old quarries such as Azarraga or Atzarraga, Atxoste or Jaime..., which has been extracted commercially variety called Red Ereño or Bilbao Stone. In reality it is a type of rock containing recrystallized limestone, originanting from a reef with abundant remains of corals, mollusks, etc.. It is the result of sedimentation on the bottom of the seas that covered the territory in the
Lower Cretaceous (between 45 and 65 million years ago). The red colour is due to the impregnation of an iron oxide sediment.
These sites were in existence at least 2.000 years ago in Roman times and it was during this period that stone quarrying begal. Proof of this are two first
and second century burial sites, located at the site of Forua and which were carved out in the same material. The movement and transport of the stone duringthis period must have been more extensive than the present, and well beyond the boundaries of the local area. There is evidence of the stone´s use in theterritory of Arabia, specifically in the area of Arcaia or the Veleia Roman city (Iruña de Oca). The purpose of the extensive exploitation of this material
was primarily decorative, such as cladding for buildings of good size, but without forgetting its usea as epigraphic support.